Ubuntu Developer Week: Review of Day 2, Outlook: last day
Ubuntu Developer Week is passing by much too quickly, as always. Still it’s great to see how many new people get involved, find out more about Ubuntu Development and get involved. Day 2 was yesterday and brought us many great sessions. Here’s what happened yesterday:
- How to write apps for Ubuntu — dpm: David Planella was well prepared as always and gave some good insights into what it takes to take an app from idea to a working app. He got quite a number of questions during the session, so I guess we can expect more apps coming to Ubuntu soon.🙂
- Ubuntu App review process explained — coolbhavi: Bhavani Shankar explained the next step in terms of apps and demonstrated how a typical App Review works. Unfortunately the session was interrupted by a bot misbehaving towards the end, but lots of questions were still answered.
- Finding memory leaks — achiang (Hangout!): Memory leaks can become huge problems in no time, and sometimes it’s not easy to debug or fix them. Alex Chiang is passionate about fixing them and provided a great session about how and where to start.
- Testing with autopilot — balloons: Nicholas Skaggs and Thomi Richards are becoming the autopilot double-act (you will likely see them in tomorrow’s Automated Testing Hackfest as well). They gave a very nice introduction into autopilot and how to use it to test UI elements properly. Be sure to check it out and make good use of it.
- Unity integration — mhall119: Michael Hall, the author of “Hello Unity” and things like “singlet” knows how Unity works and how best to integrate your apps with it. It’s these finishing touches which make your app stand out and give the users the nice feeling of a seamless experience.
Here’s what’s on for today. Hope to see you all there!
- 15:00 UTC – Automated Testing in Ubuntu — pitti
- 16:00 UTC – Syncing your app’s data with u1db — aquarius
- 17:00 UTC – Interacting with Debian’s Bug Tracking System — tumbleweed
- 17:30 UTC – Building Ubuntu images — ogra
- 18:00 UTC – The Ubuntu Nexus 7 images — ogra
- 18:30 UTC – Fixing packages to cross-build – xnox
- 19:00 UTC – Developers Roundtable — bdrung & geser
This is the last day of this cycle’s UDW, so make sure you let your friends know and show up yourself. Join in!