Ubuntu Developer Week: Day 1 is over, what’s up on Day 2?
Ubuntu Developer Week kicked off yesterday. If you couldn’t make it, don’t despair: here are the logs and a quick run-through:
- Introduction to Ubuntu development — dholbach: This session has become an institution at Ubuntu Developer Weeks and is always packed with people who want to get started. Check out the log for an overview over Ubuntu Development and lots and lots of answered questions.
- Getting set up for Ubuntu development — dholbach: Similar to the session before, this one is a regular at our events. This time Daniel chose to only show the most important things to get set up and also walk everybody through a very simple bug fix to give an idea of how things work.
- Introduction to patch systems — coolbhavi: Patch systems regularly confuse people. How do I “patch a package” and why are there multiple ways to do it. Go through Bhavani’s session log and find out how and why to get the most out of patch systems.
- Working with upstreams — tumbleweed: Stefano Rivera has long been working in both the Debian and Ubuntu camp, so it’s no surprise this topic is important to him. It was great to see that many asked their questions in the session. The foundations of more healthy relations between Upstreams and Downstreams have hopefully been laid in the session.
- Introduction to One Hundred Paper Cuts — notgary: The One Hundred Paper Cuts team has been fixing small, annoying UI bugs for quite a while and everybody’s happy that Chris Wilson brought some new energy back to the team. Watch this video to find out how you can get involved and how the project works. If you care about UI stuff, this is a great first step.
- Ubuntu App Developer tools — mhall119: Building apps for Ubuntu has never been easier and Michael Hall knows how you can most easily get started. Read the log, it’s good fun and start working on your first app today.
Yesterday sounds like it was a great day, but wait for what we’ve lined up for today:
- 15:00 UTC: How to write apps for Ubuntu — dpm
- 16:00 UTC: Ubuntu App review process explained — coolbhavi
- 17:00 UTC: Finding memory leaks — achiang (Hangout!)
- 18:00 UTC: Testing with autopilot — balloons
- 19:00 UTC: Unity integration — mhall119